Mr. Michael Szeto
Partner, ONC Lawyers
The COVID-19 outbreak has adversely affected the public and business sectors. The Financial Secretary had warned that the economic impact of the COVID-19 outbreak could be more severe than in 2003 when SARS hit Hong Kong. Whilst, having lived through SARS, the general public is by and large alert and responsive in handling the situation, our health and safety, and financial burden are of most concerned. In this 1-hour e-Seminar, some practical employment issues arising out of COVID-19 outbreak will be discussed. Topics include:
• What are the employer's duties to ensure safety and health of employees at work?
• Can an employee refuse to go to work in fear of his safety and health?
• Can an employee request to work from home or for flexible working hours?
• Can an employer deduct the employee's wages and/or dismiss the employee because of his absence from work?
• Can an employer request an employee to take no pay leave?